Overland Park Divorce Attorney

The State of Kansas has specific laws individuals should consider when thinking about divorce. While it is easier to get divorced now than in past years, many clients are surprised to learn it takes more effort to leave a marriage than it does to enter one. We are currently accepting new clients. Please call or text (913) 257-3110 to schedule an initial consultation. Click here for more information on our new flat fee services for uncontested divorce cases.

Residency Requirements

Individuals who desire a divorce in Kansas must meet the residency requirements of the state. To do so, one spouse must be a Kansas resident for at least 60 days prior to the divorce filing.

Grounds For Filing

Kansas is a no-fault divorce state. No evidence of wrongdoing must be alleged or proven. It is only necessary to claim incompatibility with a spouse.

Filing A Petition

A divorce petitioner may file a Petition for Divorce with the district court in their county of residence. Once served, the respondent is given the opportunity to answer the petition or file a divorce counterclaim.

The district court requires 60 days to pass from the time of filing before it will hear a divorce case. The exception to this rule is when a judge sees fit to declare an emergency.

Professional Legal Help

A divorce is a complex matter and can cause a great deal of emotional distress. It is never easy negotiating a divorce settlement with a spouse whether children are involved or not. For this reason, it is not suggested that a divorce petitioner attempt to handle proceedings on their own. A lawyer who is familiar with the nuances of Kansas divorce law is needed.

Attorney Sarah Carmody is a family attorney who specializes in Kansas divorce law. If you or someone you know is facing a divorce and are in need of an attorney, call Sarah Carmody Law at 913-257-3110. You can also use this online contact form to contact Sarah Carmody Law.

Plan Ahead, Contact Sarah Carmody Law, LLC

If you are considering filing for divorce in Johnson County, Wyandotte County, Leavenworth County, Douglas County, Jackson County or Clay County, it is important to speak with a knowledgeable attorney who can advise you on the best approach. At Sarah Carmody Law, LLC, we help clients prepare for divorce and create divorce strategies that protect their financial and parenting interests.

Contact me, Overland Park divorce lawyer Sarah Carmody, at 913-257-3110.

Contact the Overland KS Divorce and Mediation Attorneys at Sarah Carmody Law, LLC at 913-257-3110 today!

The Sarah Carmody Law, LLC provide legal services for families located in these areas: Shawnee, Overland Park, Olathe, Leawood, Mission, Kansas City, Lenexa and Johnson County. Let us help you today.